Cricut Art Director and Freelance Illustrator/Designer Natalie Malan


Wonderful artist, illustrator, designer and art director Natalie Malan wears many hats and is a truly talented entrepreneur artist. I was so excited when she agreed to answer some questions for us!
Kim: Hi Natalie you are doing some amazing things. Where do you get your inspiration from as an artist?
Natalie: I get inspiration from everything I see and do. I had an iron deficiency with my second pregnancy and would wake up at 5 am and want to be out in my yard planting flowers every single day. My husband has banned me from the garden center. So I would just wake up even earlier and go before he woke up. I think that is where my flower obsession began. I love the colors and the growth and movement change of nature. 
Kim: What do you attribute to your success as an artist?
Natalie: Hard work. Being an artist and staying focused is difficult but rewarding. There have been many nights where I spent the whole day taking care of my kids and then all night working on a project to get it to a level I wanted it to be for my client. I am also very careful to bite my tongue if I don't agree with something and just keep working.  Sometimes there are things that a client sees or knows about their own project that I don't see, and I have found that it's better to give them what they are asking for and do the best job that I possibly can.  I am also very careful not to burn any bridges. I have the best clients and I 'm grateful for every job they send my way.


Kim: Do you have any projects that you are excited about right now?
Natalie: I have a large Cricut release coming out on May 20th. It's a beautiful wedding suite that you can print and then cut on your Cricut machine.  There's also a coordinating calligraphy font that I love and I'm super excited about. I've also recently just released phone cases with Casetify and am excited to see those in person. My biggest current project is a children's book that I have been working on, which should be coming out soon as well. I've been posting sneak peeks of that on Snapchat.

Kim: If you where just starting out what would be your advice? 
Natalie: Learn how to polish your work. The last 10% is the hardest. Not everyone makes it that far. And be nice to everyone no matter what. It's a small world, and lots of people know each other so it's good when they already have a high opinion of you and you your work is based on the reference of someone else. Value the critiques that you get from others, and try to apply them while still keeping you art work true to your voice.

Thank you so much Natalie! I am excited for you up coming work. It was wonderful to be able to get your insight. All the best to you!

Natalie lives with her family in Salt Lake City, Utah. She has worked as an art director at Cricut and has also illustrated children's book currently sold at Deseret Book. Visit www.nataliemalan.com to see more of her work.  And below are more links to her work.

https://us.cricut.com/design/#/landing/project-detail/10075

No comments: