Meridth McKean Gimbel - Children's Book Illustrator and Writer




We have such a treat for you today! 
My friend and wonderful Illustrator Meridth said that she would love to give us some insight to her road inspiration and road to being an artist.  Meridth has a wonderful playful style with great characters and colors.

Kim: Hi Meridth, hope you are doing well! :)
How are things? Its been a long time! I would really love to ask you a few questions to put on my blog would you mind?


Meridth: Hi Kim! Good to hear from you! Looks like you're doing well. Good for you for teaching!! Wish I were in Utah. My kids need an art teacher and thanks for thinking of me. 

Kim: That would be awesome to teach your little ones! So the first question is:
Why did you become an artist? 

Meridth: I went through some really difficult experiences as a kid and the library was my refuge. I could go there, read a story, look at the illustrations of that story and be sucked into a completely different world. As an adult, I love connecting through kids with my art and stories. 

Kim: What inspires you as an artist? 

Meridth: Lots of things. I'm inspired by my children and the fresh way they look at the world. I'm inspired by nature. I love visiting museums. I love antique furniture. I'm a fan of cemeteries. I love movies. And, of course, I love children's books. 

Kim: What makes a good teacher? 
Meridth: I think a good teacher gives students the skills to articulate their own artistic vision. Everyone has their own voice. Students just need to learn (and I am still learning) how to hone their craft. 

Kim: What is your favorite thing to draw/paint?
Meridth: I love being a freelance illustrator because what I draw and paint is always changing. I love that my commissions or personal pieces are puzzles waiting to be solved. 
--- Hope that works for you Kim. Best of luck to you!
- Meridth 



Meridth lives in
San Diego County, California with her family. Visit here for more illustrations and information

www.MeridthMcKeanGimbel.com



















www.MeridthMcKeanGimbel.com

No comments: