Fabulous Freelance Designer & Artist Rebecca Turner



This is a fabulous day! We get to talk with Rebecca Turner Freelance Illustrator and Designer. She believes in color, pattern, white space, chocolate covered cinnamon bears, supernovas, non-conformity, long distance running, recycling, books, and patience. 

Hi Rebecca! Long time no see :) Your kiddos look adorable.  I would really love to ask you a few questions about being an illustrator.

Rebecca: Hi Kim! Here's my answers, let me know if you want me to clarify anything. I love that you run an art school by the way!
 
Kim:What made you want to be an artist?
Rebecca: My Mom is an artist, so I grew up surrounded by pencils and paint and I was always encouraged in my artistic expressions. I wasn't sure I wanted to pursue art as a career until about 2 years into my college degree. I was dabbling in a lot different areas, but I realized that art was what I thought about all the time, when I closed my eyes at night I would see images that I wanted to create, that's what I was most passionate about. From then out I focused on illustration and design.  

Kim: What inspires you as an artist? 
Rebecca: I love seeing the amazing work that is being created by contemporary artists. I also love looking at vintage children's picture books and ancient patterns. What is your favorite project you have worked on to date? That's a hard one. Nothing stands out. Anytime I feel like I really nailed a design its exciting to me. That definitely doesn't always happen!

Kim: If you are starting out today as an artist what advice would you give yourself?
Rebecca: I do feel like I am still starting out as an artist, so the advice I would give myself or any other aspiring artist is to just make art. Lots of it. Experiment. Keep drawing, keep painting, keep innovating, and don’t be afraid to share your work even if you think you could do better.
 
Kim: Who are some of your favorite artists?  
Rebecca: Isabelle Arsenault, Dadu shin, Angela Marzuki, Charlotte Trounce, Jon Klassen, Marc Boutavant, I have a million favorite artists, but those are some that come to mind!

Kim: What are some projects you are excited about right now? 
Rebecca: One of my fabrics for Minted was used in a styled baby shower shoot here http://www.minted.com/julep/2016/03/21/tropical-jungle-baby-shower/ That was pretty exciting for me. Right now I'm designing Christmas cards and patterns for the holidays, never too soon right?
I was also featured in an article about baby Shower ideas: Tropical Jungle, Design & DIY Inspiration for Home, Weddings, Parties.
My website is rebeccaturnerstudio.com, but I'm in the process of updating it so it's not too current right now. My minted store has more up to date designs http://www.minted.com/store/rebeccaturner

Kim: Thank you so much Rebecca it's been a lot of fun to catch up with you and see what you are doing! Congratulations and wishing you all the best!
Rebecca lives in Indiana with her husband and 3 little ones.













No comments: